Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Those 3 little words

I.Love.You

Alexis, you said these special words to me for the first time on Sunday.
Oh sure, for months you've been repeating them to your father and I at bedtime every night.
But on Sunday, as we headed upstairs for your nap, you hugged me really tight and then said,
"I love you mommy. I love daddy very much too."
And my heart melted right then and there.
And then last night, you just wouldn't fall asleep.
You were busy banging away in your crib and singing some Christmas carols.
"Jingle Bells, We Wish You a Merry Christmas and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" are your faves :)
I decided to rock you in your chair in the hopes of quieting you down.
As you like to do these days, you insisted the two of us sing "Rockabye Baby" to the whole family...
First to mommy, daddy, you and Offu the owl.
Then to Aunt Wendy, Uncle Carl, Matt, Cece and Ozzy the puppy.
Then to Nanny, Grandpa Mike and Gigi.
Then to Grandpa Tom.
Then Uncle John, Aunt Kate and Baby Girl.
Then to your preschool class and your teachers, too.
Then to Coco, Hannah and Abby, the dogs on our street.
I alternate between thinking this is endearingly sweet and also a big stall tactic at bedtime.
And, in the middle of singing you stopped, looked up at me and said it again,
"I love you mommy. I love daddy too."
Like I said, MELT MY HEART.
You know what else makes me oh so happy?
Seeing you in these cute little pigtails!
I'm not alone...friends and strangers always tell me how sweet the pigtails look.
It's our "new do" for the two-year-old you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I'm crying........we love you Alexis Rose!!

The Hanks Gang

Anonymous said...

I'm not happy with where she ranked me in her list. Why not put me behind "Coco" the neighbors dog?

Natalie said...

UGH ok emory should turn two TOMORROW so she can wear pig tails...that is if she has enough hair :) and that is the sweetest post.

yes, VERY small world! hilarious