Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Baby Story

It was Friday morning, December 16.
I had just dropped Alexis off at preschool.
I was 2 centimeters dilated,
and the baby had clearly dropped.
Braxton Hicks contractions had set in.
It was time to get walking.
Fast forward a few hours.
My stomach looked to be quite a bit deflated.
I couldn't feel any baby movements,
and I began to think that maybe my water had broken.
Just to be safe, I checked in with the OB.
The office was closed for the day,
so I was told to come to the hospital for a routine check-up.
Sure that I would be sent home right away,
I had Vic stay with Lexi while I made the ten minute drive.
What I was not expecting to hear was that my amniotic fluid was quite low
and that they would have to induce me that very evening.
Grandparents were called, Grandpa Tom jumped in his car.
With no contractions to speak of and a mobbed labor/delivery ward,
Vic and I settled in for dinner and laps upon laps of walking around the hospital.
Still no room of our own, since the hospital was literally full of laboring women,
we tried to enjoy our time in the triage unit.
I was going to have to get Pitocin, which I wasn't happy about,
and we were told that the baby would likely arrive some time the next day.
Just after 10:30 pm, we hung up the phone with my mom,
telling her that we should have some news by late morning.
Within a matter of minutes:
my water broke
the contractions came on strong...painfully strong
I demanded Vic get the doctor while there was still time for an epidural
oh yeah, and I started to panic.
The doctor reassured us that we had plenty of time.
My body, however, was clearly telling me otherwise.
This baby was coming, and she was coming in a big time hurry.
Vic literally raced down the hall, screaming for our doctor.
There was time for her to run in with a nurse,
sterilize the area, grab a bassinet and instruct me on when to push.
My legs started shaking, I felt numb, I told my husband that I couldn't feel my tongue.
Now I was definitely in a panic.
Thank goodness Vic remained so calm and reassuring and, with the help of Dr. Fickies,
kept me focused on having a baby.
Not more than five minutes later, at 11:05 pm,
Ryleigh Ann Hamilton made her grand entrance.
No pitocin, no epidural, no private room, no time to process the fact
that I was having a baby - the good old fashioned way.
In hindsight, I am thrilled that the birth was a totally natural one.
I am amazed at what the human body is able to do.
I will always remember the experience of bringing a life into this world.
It was certainly not the "birth plan" I had envisioned,
but it brought us our beautiful daughter,
and I am forever thankful.
And that's how we became a family of four!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible story!!! Good thing you were there for monitoring--I think you would have had ryleigh at home!!!! You are one strong lady. How are you feeling? How are things going?

Would love to drop in quickly next week only if things aren't too crazy for you. Let me know . How is Lexi adjusting? Can't wait to hear all the details.

Xoxo
Paige

Anonymous said...

Wow what an amazing story and one you will never forget - Ryleigh sure knows how to make a grand entrance! Hope your first few dyas at home have been going well and that you are settling in for a special first Christmas as a family of four!

Sending lots of love and holiday cheer!
XX
Kim

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Erin. Thanks for sharing your experience. It is miraculous isn't it?
Congratulations, again on the birth of Ryleigh Ann!
Michelle and Marc

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great story! I cannot even begin to imagine what a birth without epidural would be like! Glad everything ended up okay, and congratulations on you precious, new little bundle. I'm sure Lexi is a great big sister and amazed by her little sister. What a fantastic Christmas you all will have. Her name is beautiful, as is she. Congrats again, friend. So happy for you all!

Merry Christmas!
Ashleigh

Anonymous said...

Erin

What a beautiful dissertation of Ryleigh's birth. Someday she will be very proud and happy reading your very articulate moving comments. The words and pictures compliment each other so well. Outstanding.

Tom

Anonymous said...

I am continually impressed by my "baby Sis", and thrilled Ryleigh has joined the Family! She is beautiful and lucky to have Alexis as her big sis:) Looking forward to seeing you all very soon.
Hugs and Kisses,
Wendy

B-Mama said...

Erin, what a great birth story and congratulations on your beautiful Ryleigh! We had an accidental natural birth with #3 and I've never gone back... I'm so glad you had that experience--it really is so awesome what our bodies can do, huh?!

Congratulations and revel in your bundle of sweetness. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,

Thanks so much for sharing your story...that is pretty incredible. It's amazing that you know what a natural birth is like, without planning it. As I was reading, and with Christmas around the corner, I was thinking of the baby Jesus story - no room at the inn! There was no room at the inn for you guys but somehow you pulled through! Someday it will be fun to tell baby Ryleigh just how she decided to enter this world :-)

And I love that she was officially born on 12/16 - exactly three years and one month after her big sis!

How is everything going? Is Lexi loving being a sister?

I hope your holidays are awesome this year. So fun to have an early gift! I can't wait to meet her in person in January. I'll talk to Lauren and we'll throw out some dates after the new year!!

Talk to you soon. Merry Christmas, Happy 2012, and Happy Family of Four!!

Love,
Ashley