As far as Mother-in-laws go, I lucked out.
I first met Vic's mom, Lucretia, freshman year of high school
and instantly found her to be warm, kind, funny, easy going, caring and just plain fun.
These are just a few of the qualities that everyone who knew Lu saw in her.
As the years moved along and my friends started to marry,
the in-law jokes and complaints quickly followed.
I simply smiled to myself knowing how lucky I was.
In fact, about the only complaint I had was that I could never live up to Lu in the kitchen.
When she passed away in 2008,
one of the few comforts Vic and I had
was that we shared the news with her, just weeks earlier,
that we were expecting our first child/her first grandchild.
And so, when March 30th rolled around this year,
I decided Lexi and I should write a note to Grandma Lu.
To let her know that she is not forgotten, will never be forgotten,
and that our girls will hear early and often
about what a fantastic woman she was.
We tied the letter to a pink balloon (Lexi's choice),
and Lexi and Vic sent it up into the sky together.
Tom happened to be visiting us that weekend, and he watched on.
The balloon drifted higher and higher,
and then it promptly got stuck in a tree.
And there it stayed, until it popped some time overnight.
You can still see the note and the string in the very highest branch.
I stood there wondering what it could mean.
I was upset that our mission had failed.
I didn't know how to explain it to Alexis.
And then two thoughts crossed my mind:
1. Seeing that string up in the tree each day
will help ensure that she is never far from our minds or our hearts
2. The whole scene must have given our beloved Lu a good laugh.
And for all of you who knew her and loved her,
you'll know just what I mean
when I say that her laugh was joy-filled and contagious.
I hope you can hear it now.
I know I can.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Perhaps you didn't have enough postage on it?
Thank you very very much
Tom
Post a Comment