Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Year's and a Resolution

Happy 2013!
To celebrate this year, we kept it easy and low-key.
We went over to Cam, Beth and Ella's for an early celebration.
Apps, pizza, sparkling cider for the kids,
champagne, wine and a little scotch for the gentlemen.
Hats, horns and an early countdown.
Time in the play room, a movie for Lexi and Ella,
a bit of fun/insanity getting our group shot,
a toast to the year that was and the year to come
(which will soon be bringing our dear friends a brand new baby)!
Sometimes simple plans can be some of the most fun.
As for resolutions, neither Vic nor I are the kind to jot down a list.
It's hard to give yourself a year-long ultimatum.
Can not eat this, ever...must do this, every single day...
In general, my goal is just to be more present.
Some of this I started last year, and some of it I need to get a jump start on.

I want to be more present throughout the day.
More present for the big moments and also the small ones.
This means less time on Facebook, on Instagram, on blogs.
I enjoy it, I love that it helps me keep in touch with childhood friends, high school friends,
college friends, work friends.
But the truth is, that I don't need to check it/them multiple times a day.
So I won't!

I want to be present for my girls, my husband, my family and friends.
This means less time taking pictures.
I love taking pictures, always have, always will.
I love that it helps document a moment in time,
captures it for posterity.
I love how a picture can make me feel closer to people who don't live nearby,
who I haven't seen in a year or even years.
I love looking at pictures - of my girls and with my girls.
That will never change.
But not every moment needs to be documented.
I learned over the last year that I need to be more present in the moments.
I learned to jump in on the sleigh riding,
to really and truly be there as my girls ripped open their Christmas presents.
I learned to visit with friends and their children at my girls' birthday parties -
instead of just documenting them.
I learned to enjoy moments with family at the expense of photographing them.
I've worked on it, I've gotten much better.
There is still room for improvement.

I want to be more present for my husband.
We have always been good about making time for ourselves.
We use babysitters easily and often.
We love date nights. We think they're really important.
We fill our weekends making plans with friends.
We look forward to football Sunday - cheese and crackers, a glass of wine,
a fire and some Giants football (before they got knocked out).
It's our little routine in the winter.
Whenever schedules allow, we do an activity together - Crossfit, yoga, a hike, family walks.
But during the week, it's easy to get stuck in a routine.
You make dinner, I'll give the girls baths.
You read Lexi a book while I put Ryleigh to sleep.
You wash the dishes while I do laundry.
And then, we can enjoy a show together, talk about the day.
I want more than that, better than that.
There will always be chores, there will always be two girls who require and deserve our attention.
But I want to be more present, I want to make every moment count.

I want to be present for all my relationships.
I am good about making time for my friends here in town.
I schedule book club and get the group together.
I make dinner plans and set up girls' night outs.
I arrange play dates often (which are just as much for me as Lexi/Ryleigh)
I am the first to accept an invitation whenever I possibly can.
But I can actually pick up the phone more, rather than just send endless texts and emails.
I can be the one to call my sister, instead of waiting for her to diligently reach out to me.
I can be better about making time for friends who aren't here in Fairfield.
I send them emails often, I try and get dates on the calendar when we can meet up.
But I can do more, and I should.

I want to take charge of my fitness again, and I've been working hard at that.
Not simply show up to Crossfit, but really challenge myself once again.
Set goals, lift heavier, run faster, dig deeper, keep pace with my friends or look to beat them.
When I did this before my pregnancy with Ryleigh, I got the results I wanted.
I am close again, but the effort has to really and truly be there, every time I step foot in the box.
Otherwise, what is the point in going?

So 2013, here's to being more present. After all, there's no time like the present!!
Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this, good for you I know it will be worth your while. It is sooo easy to get caught up in the business of the day and then wonder where the day has gone!
My resolution is the word SIMPLIFY, thanks for the inspiration sis.
Love,
Wendy